The Hobbit Confirmed Arriving in 2009 by New Line Exec
by Alex Billington
February 19, 2007
Tolkien fans rejoice - The Hobbit movie will see the light of day (or rather darkened theaters) in just over 2 years time! As of current the debacle between Peter Jackson and New Line Cinema is still up in the air. Nothing has come of the situation between the two yet; ever since Jackson sued New Line regarding The Fellowship of the Ring's payment inaccuracies and the Lord of the Rings series went on to rule the world. New Line founder and co-chairman Robert Shaye recently spoke with The New York Times in promotion of his movie The Last Mimzy and briefly mentioned the film.
And he would not comment on reports in the news media that the "Spider-Man" director Sam Raimi had been asked to direct "The Hobbit." He said, however, that although there was no workable script yet for the film, he intended to release it in 2009.
Shaye also spoke very carefully on the "Jackson vs New Line" matter, which you can read in depth over at SlashFilm.
I've said before and I'll say it again - this project is doomed unless Jackson is on it. The only acceptable replacement is Sam Raimi, but after he's going to make endless amounts of money this May 4th he may be stuck on a Spider-Man 4 through 2009.