Source Says 99% Certain Guillermo del Toro Will Direct The Hobbit
Ever since the news hit in December that The Hobbit would finally be made for release in 2010 and 2011 without Peter Jackson directing, discussion hasn't let up as to who could direct the films. It became apparent late last year that Hellboy director Guillermo del Toro was the front-runner for the job, along with Spider-Man director Sam Raimi. On Sunday, Hollywood Reporter officially confirmed that del Toro is "in talks" to direct, but the deal is still not finalized. An update today from Tolkien fansite TheOneRing.net reports that that there is a "99% probability that del Toro would be helming the double picture." But don't go off calling your friends just yet, "the contracts are not signed and the deal is not final."
Before we get any further, numerous sources confirm that New Line Cinema won't be officially announcing a director until the writers strike is settled. So until then, all of this must still be considered a rumor. There was even a report back in late December from Variety that said that Sam Raimi "is expected to go right back up the mountaintop and take the helm of The Hobbit films." Obviously The Hobbit films are a very hyped-up project and it seems everyone is grasping onto whatever "reports" they can get from studio sources. As of right now there are enough conflicting "99% certain" reports from both camps that it could still be one or the other or even somebody entirely different. Either way, I really hope we get confirmation very soon so everyone can stop arguing.
TheOneRing.net's report today comes from "a source close to the film." If there is anyone I'd trust when it comes to Hobbit news, it would be TheOneRing.net, as they are THE definitive source for all things Tolkien. Their insider goes on to praise del Toro, saying: "He is an excellent choice. He is somebody who has his own vision but will be able to work under Jackson's vision as well." But since this isn't confirmed and contracts aren't yet signed, how could this all fall apart? "If the writer's strike went on for another year and people's schedules changed."
Earlier today we ran another article about Guillermo del Toro and the H.P. Lovecraft's At the Mountains of Madness. As of last October, Guillermo was supposed to be making Mountains of Madness next. Whether this is still the case now with The Hobbit in the works, we're not entirely sure. But I would love to see Guillermo finish Hellboy II, make At the Mountains of Madness next for 2009, then gear up for The Hobbit for 2010 and 2011.
Guillermo is the newest "hot" director in Hollywood these days. Ever since Pan's Labyrinth, it seems lots of people have taken a particular liking to him and his incredibly unique and highly visual filmmaking style. Guillermo has Hellboy II: The Golden Army due out this summer, which is my own fanboy favorite given I'm a huge Hellboy fan, but I have an odd feeling that the film won't be overly successful, and I'm not entirely sure why. If he's the new hot genre director, then why won't people go see his latest comic book movie, which is sure to deliver? Either way, Guillermo is sure to be very busy for the next few years, whether he gets The Hobbit gig or not.
Thanks to TheOneRing.net for that lil' cartoon version of Guillermo del Toro as a hobbit - that's their awesome creation!