What the Hell is Aladygma?
by Kevin Powers
April 2, 2008
I have to admit, I wanted to post something on this topic because I'm a bit perplexed. Peter over at SlashFilm mentioned last month that Aladygma might be the codename for a Cloverfield sequel, or a film of equal, cryptic viral proportions. Reading through the interwebs, I've found a bit of information. Now, I realize I might just be giving posers and idiots coverage of their stupid pranks or BS. I certainly don't want to, but this might be an opportunity to rule some things out and cut out the garbage for good. Let's dig in and try to figure out what's what, shall we?
On its surface, there doesn't seem to be much here connecting Cloverfield to this property. However, this is what you can find there. If you go to this site, not only does it plainly have 00 | 11 | 22 | 88 square and center, but if you highlight the page (ctrl + a), you're presented with a number of white spaces. Once clicked, they lead you to six screens that contain the following:
1) The upper left corner has the: "thomas ist ein lügne" spelled backwards. Is that German? And who the hell is Thomas?
2) A colored x-ray of a human neck and skull
3) A stylized graphic of a scared girl peaking around a door with 211 written on it
4) A graphic of a New York Subway map with the Chambers St. station circled and a handwritten "102 North End Ave"; behind the map seems to be a newspaper from September 12, 2001. WTF?
5) Content is replaced by "student thomas | room 211" and "211 | 2008"
6) And finally, an image of the Pioneer Plague that was sent into space back in the '70s, which contains rudimentary details about the human race in case extraterrestrials encountered it; if you stay on that screen a biohazard symbol appears with an arrow pointing to it, and then what looks like an infant alien from the alien series appears. This is probably the most confounding and descriptive detail thus far. If you click the alien image, it takes you back to #2.
*Interesting facts on this site so far:
1) aladygma almost directly spelled backwards is amygdala, which is a region of the brain that controls a variety of things, including fear.
2) if you rearrange the numerals on the homepage of the site, you get 1-18-2008: 2. Does that mean Cloverfield 2? (It also renders any number of other combinations, including 12-18-2008 or 11-28-2008.)
I can't recall how I got to this site, but it does sort of track with aladygma.com, especially since the title bar of the site says a.l.a.d.y.g.m.a. The site features a video that moves through a variety of images including nuclear bomb tests, the popular alien autopsy video from the '90s, and a shuttle launch. At the end, the text "follow the white spaces" appears, along with "00 | 11 | 28 | 88." They're similar numbers and format, but they're not exactly the same that's on aladygma.com. Also, if you look at the source code, there are explicit Cloverfield references there. What gives? If I had to bet, this isn't truly apart of aladygma.com.
This site uses a similar 'ctrl+a' functionality to reveal more information, and primarily depicts a still frame of a wide-eyed dude. If you click the hidden box, up comes a number of symbols that don't mean anything right now. The guy's face maps a video on YouTube videos that don't seem very Cloverfield-like. It's hand-held video and meant to be creepy, sure, but it seems to deal more with ghosts. If I had to guess, this site is NOT in league with aladygma.com, despite the video being titled the same.
Strange YouTube video
The vid was added just a couple of days ago and definitely mirrors the initial look of Cloverfield. (It's almost too similar.) The clip is also in German, I think, which tracks back to "thomas ist ein lügne" on aladygma.com. Watch it here.
Any thoughts on what the hell Aladygma might be?