Matt Damon Says No More Bourne Without Paul Greengrass
Uh oh. The last few days have been pretty rough for Universal. Startling news first hit that director Paul Greengrass was quitting the Bourne franchise on Monday earlier this week. Then Greengrass issued a respectful statement on Tuesday confirming that he would be leaving the franchise behind. At that point, it definitely seemed like he wouldn't return, but that could always change. Now today a press conference for Invictus, Matt Damon made a bold statement: "I’ll just wait for him and when [Greengrass] wants to do one, we'll do it." Is this the end of the Bourne franchise? Will they be able to continue without Greengrass?
His answer was followed by a question asking if he's saying that "it's Greengrass or no Bourne?" Damon's answer: "Yeah, I've always said that, but I think it'll happen down the road. We just don't have a script yet." So he's hopeful that Greengrass might return? Or is he just unaware of what's happened? ComingSoon claims that Damon might not have known that Greengrass officially announced earlier this week that he was leaving the franchise behind (forever). And that's not speculation about him leaving, he put out a personal statement saying that. Even if Damon did know that, would he still be hopeful that it'd eventually happen?
You know, I hate to say this, but I always thought The Bourne Ultimatum was the perfect place to end. And it's only been because we've been writing about a Bourne 4 for so many years that we've all forgotten about the idea of where to end the franchise and already starting getting excited about the next one. But I bet if you were to watch all three of the Bourne movies back-to-back right now, you'd finish Ultimatum and come back here feeling that there's no need to continue this franchise any further unless they really can come up with a good story and get both Greengrass and Damon back. So what do you think? Should it end here?