Nic Cage Rejoins Joel Schumacher's Thriller Trespass - Updated
by Ethan Anderton
August 3, 2010
In June we reported that Nicolas Cage and Nicole Kidman had signed on to star in Joel Schumacher's new thriller Trespass. The story in it focuses on a husband and wife taken hostage by four brutal perpetrators seeking some easy cash but complications arise amid the unexpected discovery of betrayal and deception. However, Deadline reports Cage suddenly left the project late last week, just two weeks before production was supposed to start in Louisiana. Cage then left on a vacation to the Bahamas and no one can get in touch with him to find out why he backed out. I can only assume it's because he just now caught Batman & Robin.
Apparently the real answer may lie in Cage's supposed exhaustion after working non-stop (when all is said and done he'll have worked on eight films over the past two years) in addition to an international press tour for The Sorcerer's Apprentice which just recently concluded. The biggest issue behind his departure was the fact that it could cause the movie to fall apart and a whole crew of people would be out of a job. Strangely, his departure comes after his decision in the past two weeks to play the leader of the kidnappers in the film rather than the husband (a role which has been offered to Liev Schreiber who hadn't even accepted it yet).
I'm not one to jump to conclusions, like people who dismissed Dave Chappelle as being crazy when he fled his thriving Comedy Central series, so I'm sure he has a good reason for disappearing like this (especially since he's been working very hard, presumably to settle his debt with the IRS). Initially there was talk that Cage could change his mind, but Deadline followed up and confirmed he would not return to the production. However, Millenium Films and producer Avi Lerner will push forward, find someone to fill in, and intend to meet their production start date this month. I would've liked to see Cage play a straight up bad guy again, but I'd rather it not be in a film from the increasingly disappointing Joel Schumacher. Have a good trip, Nic!
Update!: Apparently he's back. Deadline updated saying: "Days after withdrawing from the Millennium Films drama Trespass, just two weeks before production, Nicolas Cage has had a change of heart. I'm told that Cage's CAA reps have informed the production that Cage will star in the Schumacher-directed movie, after all." But he won't be playing the villain, he's back in the role of the husband. Millennium delayed the start of production a few weeks which is good news because most of the crew thought they'd be out of a job. "Cage had some time to think on his vacation in the Bahamas, and decided to do the right thing." I hope so!