Paramount Renews Their Option on a World War Z Adaptation
by Alex Billington
April 23, 2010
Although there hasn't been any forward progress (as far as we know) in the last six months on Paramount's adaptation of World War Z, Variety recently confirmed that the studio has renewed their option to adapt Max Brook's best-selling book. An adaptation was originally being developed by J. Michael Straczynski a few years ago, then Quantum of Solace director Marc Forster got attached in 2008, but has shifted the project to the backburner recently. Our last update on this was last July, when it was discovered that Matthew Michael Carnahan had been brought on to re-write Straczynski's script. We've heard nothing about this since then.
Variety says that Forster is still "developing the project" and only mentions that Max Brooks confirmed that Carnahan is currently working on the script. So this is good news and it sounds like Paramount still wants to make a World War Z movie, we just can't tell you how soon that will happen, or if the scale of the movie will be as "phenomenal" as Straczynski said it would years ago. World War Z is a book that contains numerous stories told by survivors of "World War Z", our worldwide apocalyptic war with the zombies. I'm still looking forward to seeing this get made, no matter how long it takes, and I'm happy with Forster still on-board, too.