Sir Ian McKellen Confirms 'The Hobbit' Starts Shooting in July
by Alex Billington
March 18, 2010
Although MGM still hasn't announced if they're being bought or anything else, we're all hungry for updates on The Hobbit. For a while, all we were reporting were updates saying that it was delayed, potentially until 2012, but those weren't confirmed. However, Sir Ian McKellen, aka the lovable Gandalf, has confirmed on his official website that shooting on The Hobbit starts this summer and "will take over a year." He adds that "the first draft [of the script] is crammed with old and new friends, again on a quest in Middle Earth." Yes! Variety also confirmed that it starts shooting in July even though New Line "hasn't officially greenlit [it]."
With MGM still in limbo, the reps have been saying that "we have not set a start date yet," but of course we all trust McKellen more than, well, just about anyone (oh, that Gandalf!). Peter Jackson and Guillermo del Toro are looking to finish the second Hobbit script soon which will put the production in the next phase. Although I don't remember hearing this, Variety says Warner Brothers' Alan Horn (since they now run New Line) said "earlier this year that the most probable scenario would be a release of the first film in the fourth quarter of 2012." Looks like everything may finally be starting to gain momentum in Hobbiton. Speaking of which, they've already started re-building that set in New Zealand. Who else is crazy excited for this?!