Five Things from Holiday Movies That I Actually Want for Christmas
by Ethan Anderton
December 23, 2011
By now, if you haven't made a list of what you wanted for Christmas, you're probably getting a gift card or some money and will have to fend for yourself as Soccer Mom's and Football Dad's fight over the big deals at the mall. In my case, a lot of my most wanted items are movies and memorabilia from movies, but there are some things that you just can't get your hands on (or are very hard to find), especially from some of my favorite holiday movies. Below you'll find a list of five items from holiday movies like Jingle All the Way and Christmas Vacation that I would love to have in my hands. Feel free to send them my way!
5. Turbo Man - Sinbad and Arnold Schwarzenegger went head-to-head in order to get their hands on this Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers inspired action figure and hero known as Turbo Man. Believe it or not, back when the movie was made, a line of big action figures were actually made and sold in stores, and I was insanely jealous of a friend of mine who had one when we were kids. However, if you've got some extra cash and a strange love for Jingle All the Way like I do, you can scour eBay for auctions like this actually selling the Turbo Man action figure. But you won't find Booster. Nobody wants Booster.
4. Wally World Mugs - Never has egg nog looked so delicious as Chevy Chase and Randy Quaid slurped it out of those Wally World Moose Mugs in National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. For years I wanted these mugs, but only recently have they become available for purchase right here. Now you too can sip some egg nog, maybe with a little Southern Comfort, and have the hap-hap-happiest Christmas since Bing Crosby tap-danced with Danny fuckin' Kaye.
3. Cookie/Cocoa Dispenser - One of the best inventions to come out of Santa's workshop since the ball, The Santa Clause (the original 1994 one) highlights this wholly unhealthy but mouth-watering gizmo that likely doesn't exist except in circles of the rich and famous. One of the innovations on Santa's sleigh after Charlie and Scott Calvin head-up the North Pole is the CD, or rather, The Cookie/Cocoa Dispenser. Things would be a lot easier on those traveling if they just had some hot cocoa and cookies at the push of a button while driving down the freeway at 75mph while texting and yelling at their kids. That's just Christmas for ya!
2. Wafflebot - A huge marketing opportunity was missed this Christmas to put our new robotic friend from A Very Harold & Kumar Christmas on shelves everywhere. Everybody loves waffles, and who wouldn't want them from a robot that shoots scalding hot syrup and loves unconditionally after being emotionally abused by Neil Patrick Harris? Frankly, I just want to see a Roomba and Wafflebot battle for household robot supremacy, before the eventual overthrow of the human race.
1. Mogwai - All right, I know this one's a little risky, but Gizmo from Gremlins is just too cute for me not to want a Mogwai more than a kitten or puppy. However, the big question is when does that "Don't feed them after midnight" rule actually go into effect? Because it's always after midnight at some point, but what time after midnight are you allowed to feed them again? With my luck, I'd spill water on them and bring about the demise of my town. On the bright side, someone could film it as a documentary and we wouldn't have to worry about anybody trying to make a Gremlins 3, because it would've already happened in real life.
And there you have it - I want all of these for Christmas! Maybe you guys can get your hands on a couple of the items actually available from my short list above, but if not, everyone here at FirstShowing hopes you do receive some great gifts this year, enjoy some fantastic films, and have a very Happy Holiday!