Will Forte Shoots Down the Dreams of 'MacGruber' Sequel Happening
Last month, the impossible seemed to be happening. "Saturday Night Live" writer and MacGruber director Jorma Taccone indicated that he and star Will Forte were developing a sequel to the film despite the original film bombing at the box office. Details were scarce, but he mentioned that the film would take place at Christmas and takes some cues from Die Hard. However, it sounds like he may have just had a bit of word vomit. Speaking with AICN recently, Forte decided to crush dreams by saying, "I don't think anybody in their right mind would give us any money for it." Does that make the sequel impossible?
When asked about the sequel at a press conference for That's My Boy, here's what Forte said:
"As for 'MacGruber 2,' it's very much in the works. We're just… no, I'm kidding. Jorma mentioned it. He was really tired one morning giving an interview, and he said something stupid about it. Believe me, we would love… we had so much fun doing that. We're proud of it, and we jokingly talk about the sequel all the time. But I don't think anybody in their right mind would give us any money for it. If somebody gives us money for it…"
Andy Samberg jokingly (though probably seriously too) offered $1,000 on the spot to fund the film to which Forte said the sequel would happen on a Flipcam. Honestly, that's something I would still pay to see, but it sounds like this sequel is just a pipe dream. I doubt any studio would touch a sequel since the original didn't even make $10 million worldwide, but Forte says there might be "one alternate universe in a series of parallel universes" where MacGruber 2 might happen. I'm betting we'll develop the technology to travel to those universes before any studio funds a sequel sadly. KFBR392.