Sylvester Stallone Maybe Planning on Coming Back as 'Rambo' Again
by Ethan Anderton
June 23, 2014
Beginning back in 2009, not long after Sylvester Stallone revived his Rambo character in the self-titled 2008 film, there were talks of one more sequel bringing the military veteran back to the big screen. However, in 2010, Stallone himself shut down the chatter saying, "I think Rambo's pretty well done. I don't think there'll be any more. I'm about 99 percent sure." Even when a promo poster for another Rambo film showed up at Cannes in 2011, Stallone said it wasn't a project he was working on. But then a couple months later, Conan the Barbarian writer Sean Hood revealed that he had been commissioned to write another Rambo film with a different story. And here we are in 2014, and it sounds like it just might be happening.
"With 'Rambo V' Sylvester Stallone returns in his iconic role. This time he goes up against a Mexican cartel. Stallone, who has also written the screenplay, describes the new Rambo as his version of 'No Country for Old Men.' Like the last film, 'Rambo V' is produced by Avi Lerner ('The Expendables 1-3')."
That doesn't sound like the sci-fi infused military plot from the 2009 rumblings about a sequel. However, it does sound like the vague description Sean Hood gave in 2011 when he said the script he worked on was "more in line with the small-town thriller of First Blood." The reference to No Country for Old Men definitely ties in with that description, not to mention Hood saying, "My hope is that he'll eventually be inspired to do one more Rambo film, with the tone of Clint Eastwood's Unforgiven." We'll just have to wait and see if Stallone decides to come back as Rambo. Otherwise, The Expendables 3 arrives August 15th.