MGM's 'Creed' Sequel Aiming to Open in Theaters November 2017
Briefly: This isn't big news, since details are still unconfirmed, but it's worth pointing out anyway. For those anxious to see the storyline in Ryan Coogler's Creed continue, don't worry, MGM is planning to have the sequel out in two years. Variety reports that MGM CEO Gary Barber told them on Sunday night at the Golden Globes "of his release plan [for 2017], adding that the date hasn’t been set in stone yet." Stallone recently commented on a sequel as well, reminding everyone it's all about the timing "There’s a diminishing time acceptance of a sequel. Three years is a little much." So for now the plan is November 2017. There's also still no confirmed news about whether Ryan Coogler is returning to direct, which is an important detail.
After earning over $100 million domestically at the box office so far, it's easy to see why MGM and Warner Bros are moving forward with a sequel to Creed as soon as possible. It has definitely found an audience, and even as Stallone says, better to move quick on the sequels than waste time. Stallone also just won a Golden Globe Award for Creed. "I know Ryan is probably going to be gone for a couple years," Sly told Variety. “So there will be a quandary on: Do we work with another director and have Ryan produce, or do we wait?" In the meantime, one idea they're considering is going back (in time) to tell the Rocky & Apollo story. Or they might have Michael B. Jordan as the new Creed face a bigger, meaner Russian, of course. Only time will tell.