Fox Offers X-Men: First Class to Matthew Vaughn? Not So Fast
by Alex Billington
April 30, 2010
It was confirmed a month ago that Bryan Singer would no longer be directing Fox's X-Men: First Class prequel, even though he had announced himself that he would be. We've been waiting for Fox to figure out who would replace Singer, as they're very anxious to get this shooting soon or they probably would've waited for Singer to finish Jack and the Giant Killer. While this isn't a done deal, Entertainment Weekly says that Fox has offered director Matthew Vaughn the opportunity to direct and they say he's "in talks" to take on the gig. But let's not forget that Fox screwed him over on X-Men 3, which he was supposed to direct as well.
Vaughn last directed Kick-Ass (which I loved) as well as Stardust and Layer Cake before that. He's a British director who doesn't like to be pushed around (read my interview with Vaughn) and always makes the movie that he wants to make, not the way the studio wants, which makes this seem like a very interesting decision considering Fox's Tom Rothman is infamous for taking over control on the X-Men franchise himself. EW also says that "sources say the studio is also speaking with other possible directors" so let's hope they don't pull an X3 on him again and go with someone else (much worse) at the last minute, which may be possible.
On Deadline, Mike Fleming says Vaughn has "emerged as the lead candidate" for the gig, but hasn't been signed yet. Other alternatives for the job are apparently Daniel Espinosa (Swedish director of the original Snabba Cash), Rupert Sanders (first-time director who made that awesome commercial for the Wolverine video game) and Jonathan Mostow (of Breakdown, U-571, Terminator 3 and Surrogates previously). I really hope they go with Vaughn and if they do, they better let him do his thing, even if it is PG-13, because I have plenty of faith in him, especially after Kick-Ass. What do you think? Who should direct this?
Update: In the midst of putting together this article, Heat Vision posted an update claiming that Vaughn has already passed on this entirely. Their update focuses on Daniel Espinosa, the Swedish director who's hot in Hollywood right now. "Espinosa is one of several directors Singer and Fox are meeting with" they say. They also go on to confirm that: "Reports that Kick-Ass director Matthew Vaughn is going to direct the project are incorrect; he passed days ago. Rupert Sanders also is no longer in contention." It's like there is a war between the trades now on who has the correct info and I don't know who to believe. Stay tuned!
Reader Feedback - 6 Comments
They should probably stop offering Matthew Vaughn superhero movies. He clearly has no interest, yet he's been offered two X-Men films and the Thor movie. There really is only one choice to direct the next X-Men movie, and FOX is in luck, because I'm pretty sure Mr. Ratner IS available. It won't matter anyway - any FOX-made X-Men film is a rental at best for me anymore. They really just don't give a damn.
Outlaw on Apr 30, 2010
Seems like alot of people care.
Ox 45 on May 1, 2010
yeah, he would be a great choice. i would love to see him do the deadpool film & the daredevil reboot.
DEADPOOL 72 on May 1, 2010
Fox's Tom Rothman has a lot to answer for. He ***ked up a perfectly great franchise by dumping the director and changing things at the last minute. he then hired that donkey hack Brett Ratner. What a fool. Ratner is almost as bad as Paul BBJTCWS Anderson or whatever his name is , the guy who directed and produced modern movie "classics" such as the Resident Evil series, AvP and the abominable Death Race!!!!!!!
negropolitan on May 1, 2010
Kick Ass was a terrible, cliche ridden, plot hole laden, cardboard character, self conscious mess. If THAT is the movie Vaughn wanted to make (and given the boring, 'wink wink' mess that was Stardust; I presume it was), I'll pass on his future endevours. His fanboy hype is deafening, but his work is pointless and flat. I guess fanboys don't know sh*t about movies...
HelveticaConspiracy on May 1, 2010
HE left X-Men: The Last Stand. THat's why he's been reduced to independently financing his movies because no studio will give him money after Stardust tanked and he bailed on X-Men 3 and Thor.
1-7 on May 2, 2010
Sorry, no commenting is allowed at this time.