Not So Fast: Mendes & Craig Will Wait for James Bond's Return
A couple of days ago we wrote about the cancellation of MGM's Bond 23, the next movie in the James Bond franchise, that MGM couldn't get going because they're all screwed up right now. Well, apparently that news was just a bit exaggerated. I'm sure the production is telling the crew to find different jobs because it's not happening right now, however, Deadline's Mike Fleming firmly states that "Bond isn't going anywhere." A Bond insider tells Fleming: "You are absolutely right, there is no new news. Development will resume once MGM is viable again." So really, there's not much to be worried about, and Bond will be back one day.
Yes, everything is still "on hold" until MGM sorts everything out (Fleming says we'll know "by early fall" if someone like Spyglass or Summit will take over), but that doesn't mean the entire James Bond franchise has been canceled until further notice. We also made a mistake of following what other sites were saying, which was essentially just an exaggeration of the delay. The good news is that Fleming says director Sam Mendes and actor Daniel Craig will both wait until Bond 23 gets back on track. If anything, that's most important, because I'm sure everyone is looking forward to seeing Mendes direct Craig in his third James Bond movie.
You can read our past articles regarding MGM and Bond 23: A few days ago it was reported as canceled but in April we already announced that it had been "delayed indefinitely." We're not sure how soon it'll be until this gets back on track, but you can be sure we'll keep you updated - from one James Bond fan to the next!
That is great news! I'm definitely excited to see what Sam Mendes does with a Bond film, and it's fantastic that Daniel Craig will stick around too! Hopefully they'll also still be using the Peter Morgan script.
Brady on Jul 8, 2010
Now this is more like it!
Quaked2023 on Jul 8, 2010
Craig and Mendes will bring us the Bond we all want, but as for now patience is required, and I'm willing to give mine.
Xerxex on Jul 8, 2010
hopes it better than the second. that was a bit of a let down. Casino was awesome though.
Dave13 on Jul 8, 2010
Well this really isn't much more of a "story" than the previous one, since neither Craig nor Mendes offered a new comment on the situation. The author is simply assuming that, should production be able to resume soon, both will return. I also find it hard to believe that anyone seriously thought there would NEVER be another James Bond film. But if nothing has changed since April- the only real "scoop" here- both of those are kind've no-brainers. Even so, you do have to wonder how this delay will end up affecting the original plans for Bond 23. If they can resume sooner rather than later, then yes, EON will probably still go forward with any current progress. But beyond that? If history is any indication, they're probably not going to have Bond return from a 4 or 5 year absence without having undergone some changes. (And frankly, they'd be crazy to try and pick up where Quantum of Solace left off after such a long wait, given the disappointing reaction that film elicited.) I think it will ultimately depend on how many Bond sequels Craig actually wants to make. By the time Bond 23 reaches screens, he'll be at least 45. If he's only interested in making one more, it's not going to make a lot of sense to return from such a long hiatus just for that. EON is going to want someone that will be ready to make at least two or three in quick succession as a way of reviving the franchise for the new decade.
adam on Jul 8, 2010
The last bond movie was terrible. The first Craig one was amazing!! Bond needs more plot, more mystery, more twists and turns and intrigue and less explosions and car chases. Bring bond back to being a spy and not a glorified stunt car driver!
Steve Bronfman on Jul 8, 2010
Casino Royale and Quantum of Solace are the same piece of the pie, i agree that the first bite is better then the 2nd. But Quantum of Solace has a lot of good moments.
D on Jul 8, 2010
Though I've loved some of his work, Mendes was never a good choice as Bond director. His work is known for being heavy and moody. A Bond movie is not everyone's cup of tea. I don't know why EON went for Forster and Mendes. They seem confused and grasping at straws.
JazzK on Jul 30, 2010
Sorry, new comments are no longer allowed.