'Con Air' Director Simon West Set to Take Over on 'The Expendables 2'
This could either be a very good sign, or an early warning. Deadline is reporting that Millennium Films / Nu Image may finally have found a replacement director for Sylvester Stallone for their upcoming sequel, The Expendables 2. Apparently their top choice is Simon West, a British director known for big action in Hollywood, with a filmography including Con Air, The General's Daughter, Lara Croft: Tomb Raider and Jason Statham's The Mechanic from last year. Production is schedule to start this summer and will bring back most of the original cast, including Stallone, Dolph Lundgren, Mickey Rourke, Terry Crews and Jet Li.
It was recently announced by Lionsgate that The Expendables 2 would be hitting theaters on August 17th, 2012 next summer, and that logo image above comes from an early sales promo poster we found in Cannes. I think Simon West may actually be a good choice, as he'll bring some action expertise to a sequel which definitely needs it. Not that Stallone doesn't have plenty of action experience, it's just that maybe this means we won't get CGI knife blades this time around. As pre-production continues, I'm sure we'll hear more about the sequel and what to expect, including details about Bruce Willis' likely return. Stay tuned! Sound good?
Really hope they bring the action this time, the body count was not nearly high enough in the first one for the badasses that were on screen.
Cody W. on Jun 16, 2011
Con Air was obviously a good movie, I hope he brings what needs to be brought for this sequel.
Big R on Jun 16, 2011
Not a bad choice for director! I was actually hoping John Woo would be the top pick! This is the perfect directing gig for West to exercise his "action" chops and make a comeback, as well. .....I sure hope Lundgren gets a better chance to show how much of a 'badass' he is! .....On a casting note: I hope Jean-Claude Van Damme signs on for this flick. It'd be cool to see Michael Dudikoff and Miles O' Keeffe,in this flick too! Heck, even Rutger Hauer and Ralph Moeller would ROCK!
Spider on Jun 16, 2011
Good choice, but I thought the first movie's problem stemmed more from the script and and the "actors"more than the director. That said, I enjoyed the hell out of the movie, but it seems as though those basic problems are still present.
Voice of Reason on Jun 16, 2011
casting hopefuls for me: Norris JCVD Segal Biehn Weathers Rock could be some cool additions
rocKKicker on Jun 16, 2011
Con Air sucked. Most of this guys movies are forgettable for one reason or another. Get Walter Hill on Expendables 2 or forget it.
Hallospaceboy on Jun 16, 2011
yes i like con - air, maybe they could add cusack in the mix as well . i hope the make an all star villian cast
garland green says on Jun 17, 2011
New comments are no longer allowed on this post.