Mark Hamill Talks 'Star Wars: Episode VII' & Knew About It Last Year
The news of Star Wars: Episode VII just doesn't stop. Ever since Lucasfilm was sold to Disney, a video of Kathleen Kennedy talking Star Wars with George Lucas has surfaced, news that the new trilogy might be an original story came to light, and we even listed our picks for the ten filmmakers who should be in the director's chair. Now original Star Wars actor Mark Hamill is talking about the big announcement, and this is actually something that Lucas talked to him and Princess Leia actress Carrie Fisher about over a year ago. Hamill says "Yeah, last August, he asked Carrie [Fisher] and I to have lunch with him and we did."
Hamill sat down with EW this week for a chat and he talked about his reaction last year:
"I thought he was going to talk about either his retirement or the Star Wars TV series that I’ve heard about — which I don’t think we were going to be involved in anyway, because that takes place between the prequels and the ones we were in and, if Luke were in them, he’d be anywhere from a toddler to a teenager so they’d get an age-appropriate actor — or the 3-D releases. So when he said, 'We decided we’re going to do Episodes VII, VIII, and IX,' I was just gobsmacked. 'What? Are you nuts?!'"
And since Hamill is a fan as much as he is a part of the historic Star Wars saga, he can see both the excitement and the apprehension of adding even more chapters to the space opera. Hamill elaborated:
"I can see both sides of it. Because in a way, there was a beginning, a middle, and an end and we all lived happily ever after and that’s the way it should be — and it’s great that people have fond memories, if they do have fond memories. But on the other hand, there’s this ravenous desire on the part of the true believers to have more and more and more material. It’s one of those things: people either just don’t care for it or are passionate about it. I guess that defines what cult movies are all about. We’ll see. I’m anxious to know what’s going on, but the main story [yesterday] was the sale to Disney. I have mixed feelings about that, but they haven’t done badly by Marvel and the Muppets and Pixar. It’s one of those big decisions that at first seems unusual but then the more you look at it, the more it makes sense."
So there you have it. Sadly, there's still no word on whether or not Hamill would be reprising his role as Luke Skywalker in some capacity, but if Lucas met with Hamill and Fisher last year, you would think that's because they at least have a small role in helping continue the series. After all, there has to be some sort of bridge between the original trilogy and this new one. Here's hoping Hamill, Fisher and maybe even Harrison Ford show up for at least a few minutes before the fans follow a new set of heroes. But if they want to stick around for a whole movie, that'd be fine as well.
yeah i see its with those damn kids....
Jericho on Nov 1, 2012
"....and we would have ruled the universe if it wasn't for those meddling kids and their dumb wookie." ~ Emperor Palpatine
Jedi on Nov 1, 2012
of course they knew about it its all part of the master plan
redskulllives on Nov 1, 2012
Made me cry, here's hoping 😉
David Banner on Nov 1, 2012
Mark might have just thought he talked with George, might have had a few beers.
Carpola on Nov 1, 2012
If they can't involve some of the original actors I've got a bad feeling about this new trilogy. I've also felt Lucas, and now Disney, should look at telling the rise of the Sith in a setting a thousand years earlier. Go out all the way and drop the Star Wars title for Sith Wars!!
Steven on Nov 1, 2012
There's no real reason for him to sit down with Hamill and Fisher unless they are going to be in it. I doubt he sat down with them for Episode I-III. I honestly would love to see them reprise their roles, get in shape and do it, or to have some kind of digital actor replacement where we get the performances but it seems like they've only aged a few years instead of 35.
Kento on Nov 1, 2012
I like how measured his response was. Everybody is being so dramatic about this. If the Marvel deal taught us anything, it's that Disney is willing to just do the bankrolling and step out of the way. The Marvel series has been doing fine, and I didn't see Goofy joining the Avengers. I'll take Darth Maul in Kingdom Hearts 3 though, thanks.
OfficialJab on Nov 1, 2012
For the umpteenth time, Disney had nothing to do with the Avengers Phase 1. Phase 2 is where it's at. Paramount still profit shared with Disney for TA.
BK on Nov 1, 2012
I'm somewhat surprised that the deal in 2010 didn't affect it at all, but even still, unless the future Marvel films like IM3 and so on show signs of influence (don't count on it), it's clear that they're hands-off with properties not originally their own. Out of curiosity, do you think they'll have any significant influences on the series? I personally can't imagine it, other than putting up the cash. The only notes I can see them having on properties would be along the lines of adult content or controversial content. Hell, Pirates 2 and AiW both had eye gouges.
OfficialJab on Nov 1, 2012
I love it, thanks George for passing it on!! Let someone else keep it alive and help make it bigger and better. I want a Force Unleashed CGI movie like the game trailers, same with the KOTOR with Darth Malgus, those would be incredible!! But new live action... bring it on too, don't limit yourselves, and it sounds like Disney is all over it!!
Darth Bohner on Nov 1, 2012
Harrison Ford...you'll never get him out of Montana...
Andrew Madson on Nov 1, 2012
Because Han's like me...he's a smuggler.
Ethan Anderton on Nov 1, 2012
Pfft...I knew about it back in the 80's! I remember them saying there were prequels and sequels planned back then. I remember it being 3 prequels (I, II & III) and 2 sequels (VII & VIII) at the time, but close enough.
Chris R. on Nov 1, 2012
(mocking tone) "well i knew about it in the 80's" Lucas said recently he wasn't going to do it. according to you he probably had the idea to have Disney take over since the 80's too.
Maverick Pete on Nov 1, 2012
You're an idiot.
Chris R. on Nov 1, 2012
If he knew about it last year or whenever earlier it was, that means the whole thing is further along then they are telling us...
Brad White on Nov 1, 2012
If they're going to make a summer 2015 release, they'd have to already have a draft they're pretty happy with, to snag talent to start filming by summer 2013, given that with these FX-heavy movies, it's a 12-18mo post-pro timeframe. So yeah, I think Hamill & Fisher have been asked to be involved, and are staying mum & neutral about it until things are firmly announced in the director & star-categories.
VAharleywitch on Nov 5, 2012
If Mark Hamill Is not in it Im not gonna watch it. Hands down no ands ifs or buts about it.
tyler on Nov 1, 2012
If they knew about from last year that means they had a year to get themselves in shape for the roles they will be reprising so I wouldn't be surprised if episode 7 is already under production now. It really seems surreal episode 7 will be in theatres in a few years I just can't grasp that fact I thought it was over.
BinaryChaos on Nov 1, 2012
Two generations pass between the first and second trilogies, so Hamill and Fisher would be about the right age to appear in a story set another couple of generations in the future, introducing a new generation of young adult characters. That would be awesome.
jemiph on Nov 1, 2012
We might get to see Chewbacca's family again, lol
castingcouch on Nov 1, 2012
New comments are no longer allowed on this post.