'Wreck-It Ralph' Sequel is Already in the Works with Mario Joining?
One of the most surprising treasures of the year is Disney's animated film Wreck-It Ralph, the charming video game based project just might be the best animated film of the year (many have said Disney finally trumped their own Pixar this year by blowing Brave out of the water). Not only do critics and audiences love the film, but it also grossed over $200 million worldwide so far, and it's only been just over a month. Now word comes from director Rich Moore and stars John C. Reilly and Sarah Silverman (whose adorable character nearly steals the whole movie) that a sequel is in the works at the House of Mouse. More below!
Moviehole had the daughter of one of their reporters asking the trio if there would be more Wreck-It Ralph, and Silverman was the first to speak up saying, "You tell her there will be!" And while Reilly echoed her sentiments, his angle was a little more on the business end of things saying:
“They wouldn’t make [all that] merchandise, if [Disney] didn’t have plans for other [Wreck-it Ralph] stories. Some of the big muckety-muckets at the studio, who I just saw the other night, were like ‘We’re talking sequel!’ The movie made $150 million dollars in eleven days, it broke the box-office record for Disney animated movies on opening weekend. If that’s any indication that we’ll be doing a sequel… I bet we’ll be doing a sequel.”
Though Reilly is confident, it doesn't exactly sound official yet. Of course, director Rich Moore (who made this his feature debut) sounds just as certain that a sequel is coming, and they've already been talking about what they would do. Moore says, "At dinner last night we were already talking about [the sequel]. So we’re talking ‘What could do they do? What kinda of things could happen? Who could be in it?'” Video game fans will be happy to know that Nintendo's Mario is a video game character they definitely want to work into the story. In fact, the only reason they didn't use him this time was because it didn't seem organic. Moore says, "“We’ll really come up with something good for Mario to do." After all, we already saw his mushroom in the first film, so we know he's around somewhere.
So will Moore be directing the sequel when the time comes? He says, "I love the group, I’d be crazy to ask someone else to take the reigns.” So let's just hope Disney actually follows through with a sequel and asks Moore back to do it, especially if he's already discussing story ideas. However, my hope is that the sequel doesn't lose the charm and heart that made the first one such a treat. Perhaps since this film is like a video game based version of Toy Story in some aspects, any sequel can have the same passion and powerful storytelling that both Toy Story sequels had. Stay tuned for more.
Reader Feedback - 9 Comments
I am perfectly okay with this 😀
Danimal on Dec 7, 2012
JEPoley on Dec 7, 2012
Since we learned that most ‘bad guys’ in the games are actually good too, I wonder the antagonist(s) options. Pirated software?
JEPoley on Dec 7, 2012
So trying to get this out before Ready Player One. I just want ready player one, have not seen wreck it ralph yet,but seems toy story meets video games meets some of the ready player one quirks.
Steven Morgan on Dec 7, 2012
Mich on Jan 3, 2013
Hmm, they didn't use the definitive 8-bit plumber because "Mario didn't seem organic"...or because he would cost too much (in addition to detracting from the story)?
RidgeRacer4 on Dec 7, 2012
Xerxexx on Dec 7, 2012
Aaaaarrgghh!!!! Why won't they make "Incredibles" sequel!?
The Truth on Dec 7, 2012
That'd be incredibly awesome if Mario is actually part of the story!
Aaron Burns on Dec 9, 2012
Sorry, new comments are no longer allowed.