Constantin Films to Restart 'Mortal Instruments' Sequel Production
Just last month, we got word that the originally fast-tracked The Mortal Instruments: City of Ashes, the sequel to the lackluster fantasy adaptation The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones released in August, was halting production. The first film cost $60 million to make, and the film has only made just over $37 million worldwide (though some outlets had reported around $70 million for some reason), so Constantin Films decided to push back production in order to "analyze the results to date and reposition the franchise in order to maximize results for future installments." Now production is set to restart next year. Read on!
Supposedly, despite the box office failure of the film, Martin Moszkowicz, Constantin Film’s head of film and TV, says the book series' fanbase has responded positively to the adaptation and they want to continue the franchise. Moszkowicz told THR:
"The fan response, from the blogosphere and the thousands of mails we have received, has encouraged us to keep going. It's been overwhelmingly positive, in contrast to some other YA titles.
We are analyzing what we did wrong with the first film -- particularly with the positioning and marketing -- and what changes we have to make. The readers of 'Mortal Instruments' are older than you might think That may have been one issue in our marketing, that we focused too much on a very young audience segment. We are working with a great group of people to reposition the franchise [for 'City of Ashes']."
Yeah, it could have been a problem with marketing, or maybe the film just wasn't good. At least fans can rejoice in the fact that they'll see at least one more film bringing the book series to life. However, if the sequel fails just as bad as the first film, I wouldn't expect them to continue after that. Worldwide the film has reached just over $80 million, and that doesn't seem enough to warrant pushing the sequel forward. But maybe Constantin has figured out it would cost more to stop production and waste the work they've already done rather than marching on and releasing the sequel no matter what. Harald Zwart returns to direct, with Sigourney Weaver attached to join the cast led by Lily Collins and Jamie Campbell Bower.
Reader Feedback - 2 Comments
Yay more Harry Potter fanfic! /s
Brandon V. Fletcher on Oct 23, 2013
As a nearly 40, married mother (and the demographic they realize now they should have targeted marketing to) I am pretty excited to hear TMI2 is back on. I have read the books, I saw the movie. I thought it was extremely well done - and we certainly need more Jamie Campbell Bower!!
Mel on Oct 29, 2013
Sorry, new comments are no longer allowed.