Kevin Feige Says Don't Expect Marvel's Phase Three News Until 2014
Marvel brought some big guns to their Comic-Con panel last week, including footage from Guardians of the Galaxy and the title reveal of The Avengers: Age of Ultron, the superhero ensemble sequel coming in 2015. However, noticeably absent was any news involving Phase Three of Marvel's cinematic universe. Several statements from Marvel Studios' head Kevin Feige have chocked this up to bringing the focus back to Phase Two since that's currently unfolding over the next couple years. When asked about Phase Three news down the road, Feige says that we probably won't have any major news on that front until 2014. Read on!
As of now, Marvel has Ant-Man from director Edgar Wright slated for November 6th, 2015. And though we've seen test footage shot by the director, a leading man has yet to be revealed for the film. In addition, other Phase Three films have been dated for May 6th, 2016; July 8th, 2016; and May 5th, 2017. However, the titles for those films have yet to be revealed. Feige says, "Well, it’s only 2013 now. But I think it would probably be, at the earliest, a year from now.” There have been hints that one of those films could be Doctor Strange, and one of them could likely be a sequel in the Thor and Captain America franchises, maybe even Guardians of the Galaxy to give the first film some weight.
But what about another Iron Man? Well, with Robert Downey Jr. recently only signing for The Avengers 2 and The Avengers 3, and Gwyneth Paltrow's skepticism that we'll see an Iron Man 4, that seems unlikely. Feige seems to echo those sentiments, and talks about how Tony Stark can live on with a new actor like Batman or James Bond (something he's discussed before), not to mention shifting the focus to new characters on The Avengers. Feige told Collider:
"I’ve said it before and it wasn’t negotiating tactics. I believe Tony Stark is as strong a character as Batman. We’re about to head into our fifth or sixth Batman – however, you wanna look at it – James Bond, etc. So, there will absolutely be future Tony Starks and future Iron Mans. Who makes those movies, and when those movies are made, who knows? I don’t know. But, the notion with Robert’s contract in The Avengers 2 & 3, is to allow new characters. Part of what we love about The Avengers is the shifting roster. That’s what’s fun about the comic book movies. You shift them up. So, certainly that was a lot of the thought process that went into it."
So Marvel fans should keep their focus on Phase Two right now, but we're anticipating at least some kind of news from the comic book studio at Disney's D23 Expo next month. In the meantime, fans should get pumped for Thor: The Dark World coming this November (with a new trailer arriving on August 7th), Captain America: The Winter Soldier next spring, and the bold but promising Guardians of the Galaxy late next summer. Marvel definitely has their head on straight, and we can't wait to see what else is cooking.
That's probably for the best. But I do kind of expect something from D23.
DAVIDPD on Jul 26, 2013
It would be interesting to know if they will reboot everything if they ever get to consolidate the other franchises under the Disney tent. One of the things that drove me nuts about the Avengers was that the scale of the threat was way too large for just 6 heroes - only 3 of which were actually meta-humans. In the comics, everyone (Spider-man, X-men, FF, etc.) would have shown up to defend New York. So what is Marvel going to do when they eventually get their hands on the entire Universe?
dbucks on Jul 26, 2013
Well they can just introduce them into the Universe just like they did with everyone else. They couldn't help with new york because none of them have received their powers yet. We're just going to have to wait until Marvel gets all of their heroes back.
Dallas on Jul 28, 2013
Sorry, new comments are no longer allowed.