ENJOY THE MOVIES
No way! Say it isn't true! This may just be a Golden Globes rumor, but it might also end up being true. Mad Max: Fury Road director George Miller, who just received a nomination from the Directors Guild Awards, is apparently not planning to make any more Mad Max movies again. In one of their recaps of celebrity musings from the Golden Globes, they include quotes from George Miller where he apparently straight up says: "I won't make more Mad Max movies. Fury Road… was forever getting completed." Ouch. Apparently the extended production was rough enough that he's no longer interested in more. Which is understandable.
Briefly: This isn't big news, since details are still unconfirmed, but it's worth pointing out anyway. For those anxious to see the storyline in Ryan Coogler's Creed continue, don't worry, MGM is planning to have the sequel out in two years. Variety reports that MGM CEO Gary Barber told them on Sunday night at the Golden Globes "of his release plan [for 2017], adding that the date hasn’t been set in stone yet." Stallone recently commented on a sequel as well, reminding everyone it's all about the timing "There’s a diminishing time acceptance of a sequel. Three years is a little much." So for now the plan is November 2017. There's also still no confirmed news about whether Ryan Coogler is returning to direct, which is an important detail.
This could be interesting. With the upcoming release of Quentin Tarantino's The Hateful Eight in 70mm, at least 100 different theaters have now been setup with 70mm projectors to properly run the roadshow version. Tarantino has been advocating for equipping more theaters with proper 70mm film projectors, and he has made things happen, though it has yet to be seen if it will pay off. Part of the concern is additional use in the long run. In article on THR about 70mm, it's mentioned that "a lot of people" are thinking about other things to show in 70mm - including classics like Lawrence of Arabia. But also hinted is that Warner Bros is considering a 70mm release of Zack Snyder's Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice. Really?!
The more Morricone, the better. Our friends at The Film Stage picked up on a mention on the website for film distributor Wild Bunch that indicates Terrence Malick's long-awaited other film Voyage of Time will feature a score by legendary Italian composer Ennio Morricone. It mentions in the cast & crew listings there will be Original Music by Ennio Morricone. Many may remember the news we breathlessly reported earlier this year about Morricone returning to score his first original western in over 40 years - which would be Quentin Tarantino's The Hateful Eight, arriving in theaters later this December. It looks like Morricone will follow that up with Malick's Voyage of Time, his non-fiction film due sometime in late 2016, hopefully.
It's happening. They're going to fight, and it's going to be epic. Over at Hollywood Reporter, they've posted a full-on article examining the deal that came together between Legendary and Warner Bros. Universal passed on Legendary's most recent iteration of the new King Kong, which is in the works from director Jordan Vogt-Roberts titled Kong: Skull Island. Apparently they didn't agree to the budget, so instead WB said sure, no problem - because they have big plans. They want to make a new trilogy leading to King Kong vs Godzilla. We all know that Batman v Superman is going to be huge next year, why not these monsters? That's why this is such an interesting deal, and it sets everything up to work out nicely across three movies.
Last year's X-Men: Days of Future Past did a spectacular job of essentially rebooting the X-Men franchise, while still meshing the casts of the original trilogy from director Bryan Singer, and the new cast from X-Men: First Class. However, now that there's a new past timeline intact, it sounds like the old one might be coming to an end for good this time. El Mayimbe, the scoopmaster formerly of Latino Review, posted a juicy rumor to Instagram saying that X-Men: Apocalypse and Wolverine 3 will be the final films to have ties to Bryan Singer's X-Men universe, and everything from now on will concern the X-Men: First Class team.
More? Oh yes. Not only are they building Avatar land at Disney's Animal Kingdom, but they're working on no less than three Avatar sequels. We've known about these plans for a while. But wait, just how much of a story does James Cameron want to tell? Possibly even more than we imagined. Our friends at HeyUGuys recently sent us a tip from a talk with composer James Horner where he actually mentions another script, for a fifth Avatar movie. Yes, you read that right – five, but it's actually not five movies, rather – Cameron has four scripts he's trying to condense into three movies. So there's really four more? This is all a bit crazy.
Even though we've heard that Anthony & Joe Russo were being lined up for another Ghostbusters film to follow the all-female reboot from director Paul Feig, this time with Channing Tatum and Chris Pratt involved, it sounds like Sony Pictures still has their sights set on another duo to enter the paranormal comedy franchise as well. Jeff Sneider from The Wrap mentioned on his Meet the Movie Press podcast that the studio is eyeing Phil Lord & Chris Miller for a future Ghosbusters project. Whether it's the one with Tatum and Pratt or a different spin-off remains to be seen. However, the're also wanted for another gig.
Even though Star Wars: The Force Awakens isn't slated to arrive for nine months, and we only just confirmed Looper director Rian Johnson would be at the helm of Star Wars: Episode VIII, coming in May of 2017, that's not stopping the rumors from starting on who will be at the helm of Star Wars: Episode IX. After all, Disney wants a new film from the galaxy far, far away arriving every year (like Star Wars: Rogue One in 2016) for the foreseeable future, so why wouldn't they be planning ahead? And Latino Review has the first rumor of a frontrunner director for Episode IX as The Force Awakens helmer J.J. Abrams.
Unless you've been living under a rock or you just don't care, you've probably heard that Sony Pictures and Marvel Studios reached a deal to share Spider-Man so the character can enter the cinematic universe of The Avengers while still having his own film franchise that's controlled by Sony and produced by Marvel. Shortly after the news broke, it was revealed that a younger Spider-Man was desired this time, and we had some suggestions as to who should play the wallcrawler. Names like Dylan O'Brien and Logan Lerman were said to be in early consideration, but we might see a completely different approach. Read on!
Here we go… The big rumor on Oscar weekend, with all of Hollywood in town, is that Steven Spielberg is apparently quite interested in directing the new Indiana Jones movie. If you recall, in January we posted another rumor that Chris Pratt – star of Jurassic World and Guardians of the Galaxy – is Disney's top pick to star as the new version of Indiana Jones. Ever since Disney got their hands on Lucasfilm a few years ago, they've been figuring out how to bring more franchises back. Aside from Star Wars it sounds like Indy is next, and word from Deadline around Hollywood is that "assuming a script comes in to his satisfaction, Spielberg hopes to direct that film." That film being the new Indiana Jones perhaps starring Chris Pratt.
Well, hot on the heels of Chiwetel Ejiofor being sought after for a role in Doctor Strange, and the official addition of Tye Sheridan, Sophie Turner and Alexandra Shipp in X-Men: Apocalypse, we've got one more superhero story, but this one is a little less solid. The first big screen iteration of Aquaman isn't slated to arrive until July 27th, 2018, but that's not stopping Warner Bros. from getting their DC Comics cinematic universe in order ahead of time. Latino Review has early word that Star Trek franchise star Karl Urban is in the running for a supporting role in the aquatic adventure that already has Jason Momoa as the hero.